If you follow Saving Cats, Dogs and Cash on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/savingscatsanddogswhilesavingcash/), or have noticed in the pictures I share here on my blog featuring stories about my cats and dogs, you may notice that they don’t wear collars. The reason is that when I was a kid, our dogs did wear them. One incident with a collar has kind of traumatized me for life and is always in the back of my mind with my own pets. It may or may not apply to you and your situation, but I wanted to share this story, if nothing else, to at least bring attention to the matter to maybe help someone else out there avoid having a similar incident.
“You’re wrong”, I remember telling the vet. “Nobody in my group is allowed to get cancer.” Of course, while there are a lot of things I can control in my crew, apparently keeping cancer out of our vocabulary didn’t turn out to be one of them. Despite not spraying my yard, not vaccinating beyond puppy shots, and using only tick medication and wormer sparingly, this is the diagnosis it had come down to. Somehow, I thought we were immune.
It had been years since I’d had to house train a dog, so when I took Ruby in, I’d hoped it would be as easy as I’d remembered. It wasn’t. Being glued to a computer working while trying to watch a sneaky little pup, was stressful and taking longer to train than I needed it to. I honestly don’t remember how I came across the potty doorbell, whether by chance or what, but I did and I liked what I was reading in the reviews. After a month of struggling to get Ruby trained to no longer use my house as her personal bathroom, I thought I’d found the solution to the quickest path to the goal. Those reviews just failed to mention one thing. Read more
Sadie and her brother were my first two rescues. At around 8 weeks old, they had been driven out to the country and dumped. Without exception, I’ve found over the years that nobody around the area wants these dumped or abandoned animals. Most people won’t even feed them, for fear that the animal won’t leave. New to the area, and always one to help anyone in need, I took them in. Our three paths crossing in June 2000 would set the course for my taking in all the future cats and dogs I found discarded in my little corner of the world. Sadie’s tragic death would also be one of the big reasons for this blog. I’ve made it my mission to warn every person on the planet about the dangers of Previcox (firocoxib) and all the other NSAIDs given without warning to trusting pet parents.
Abby, my labrador, has had environmental allergies to some extent, since she was around two years old, when she developed her first hot spot on her chest. Yesterday, she turned nine. Luckily, for most of those years, she’d been doing well on these supplements http://amzn.to/2oabvd7 and this shampoo http://amzn.to/2oQ9PEc. Every year, around June, she’d go on the supplements and get her medicated baths about once a month until August or September, when the offending allergen had subsided. We were then good until the next summer. That was our schedule.
Two months ago, Abby, my yellow lab, underwent lipoma surgery. The mass the vet removed was 12 lbs. and was encapsulated, but it had been hit and bruised, so when they performed the surgery, Abby bled heavily, causing her to have a pretty tense surgery and long recovery.
Oh, how time flies. One year ago today, I brought this little girl home. It wasn’t planned. It never is. It was another instance of making the decision to take on one more, or leave them in their (usually bad) situation and feel guilty and wonder for the rest of my life. Of course I chose to bring her home. I already had TEN cats and dogs at home, but when you hear how it all went down, I’m sure you’ll see why saving animals like Ruby isn’t really just something random that happens, it’s something bigger going on that I never realize at the time. Ruby’s story is just another instance of that.